Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thursdays Monkey 'butt'

Gordo
Gordo aka "Old Reliable" weighing in at about 1.5 kg, standing only 1 foot. This South American Squirrel Monkey may not look like much but he survived a trip into outer space. Launched  into space on December 13th 1958. He traveled over 1500 miles and about 300 miles up.  Brave little fella he was. Sadly he was lost after the crash landing in the South Atlantic when due to technical malfunctions the parachute didn't open, after only hours of searching they never recovered either.  Very sad. It's said they believe he was alive at the time of impact.  Bet his little butt was flinging poo all over the place.

But the good news.... Old Reliable here was alive and weightless in outer space. How cool is that? The flight lasted only 15 minutes and he was weightless for like 8 of those. I don't know about you, but I think it would be pretty cool to be weightless in outer space for about 8 minutes! Anymore than that and I might toss my cookies ::barfs:: That and I'm afeared of heights! 

So with this DiscoveryMonkeyButt I've given you some edumacation for the week. I bet you already knew all about Gordo and his super awesome fabulous trip to outer space in 1958!

I found this funny picture. (here)



more thanks for JIMSMASH!!!

source

1 comment:

  1. Well I just learned something! I always thought the first primate in space was a chimp. If the spider monkey was flinging poo it would have floated around in the cockpit LoL

    ReplyDelete

Dingleberry says: